My Secret Revealed

The Red Riding Hood Yarn Club packages went out last week and have all been received, which means I am now free to tell you all about my latest designs!

Poseidon

I was so excited when Hannah wanted to involve me as a pattern designer for one of the month's installments and it was great fun working with her to produce a pattern to fit her yarn and theme.

Amphitrite

The overall theme for the Yarn Club is 'Magical Creatures' and my month's installment is Mermaids and Mermen.  I was to design a vest pattern along that theme - one for the boy's club and one for the girl's.

The boy Club package

I wanted both vests to be similar, with the boy one done in cables and the girl one done in lace.  The vests both feature a central 'fishtail' panel done in a cable for boys and lace for girls.  To either side on the fronts, the vests feature ribbing with cables or lace to invoke images of grand pillars with seaweed and ropes similar to what might be found in the underwater city of Atlantis.

The girl Club package

The pattern names I’ve taken from ancient Greek mythology - Poseidon and Amphitrite. Most people will be familiar with Poseidon as the god of the sea, but maybe not so much with Amphitrite who was a sea-goddess and wife of Poseidon. Amphitrite was a daughter of Nereus so is also known as a ‘Nereid’ which is the name I used for the central lace panel for the girl’s vest. The name for the central cable panel for the boy’s vest, Triton, is the name of their son who was also a merman.

The package also included some gorgeous handmade buttons from Buttons by Benji which are perfectly colour-matched to the yarn Hannah has dyed.

Fantastic quality - I will be purchasing more!

And I think Hannah did such a fantastic job dyeing the colours!  They are both perfectly suited for the mermaid/man theme, conjuring up images of watery worlds and fishscales.

Now my job's done, I'm quite excited to see what surprises the other two months will hold - I already know who the other two designers are so I know they'll be good!




All but the modelled pictures have been 'borrowed' from RRHY's Blog or Facebook - Thanks, Hannah!

These patterns are club-exclusive for 6months at which time I will make them available for purchase.

Amber

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments:

Comments give me the warm fuzzys! Thanks for leaving yours...